Meta tags bring your website into Google’s line of vision. Without them, your site may as well be camping out at the North Pole because NOBODY is ever going to find it.
So, what are meta tags and do you really need them?
In short, meta tags are pieces of text used to summarise the content on a page. They use HTML elements and are necessary because search engines scan them to find out more about your web page.
What is a Title Tag?
Title tags are the most efficient way that search engines, such as Google and Bing, can tell exactly what certain pages on your site are all about. The title tag is added within your site’s HTML. Some content management systems, such as WordPress, make this process incredibly simple for users by implementing SEO plug-ins such as Yoast.
Internet users will almost always view your title tag as an important element to decipher whether they wish to click on your site or not. Title tags act as an essential factor towards on-page SEO. If you are trying to rank for a certain keyword, a common tactic is to put the keyword towards the beginning of the title tag. This will improve your chances of ranking better for specific keyword search queries.
Remember that your title tag MUST be readable. By this, we mean that it can’t be full of keywords that when strung together, read like gibberish.
Write clear, precise and well-written title tags.
How do I write a Title Tag?
Here are a few simple tips that will help you to write better and more effective title tags:
– Google gives each title tag a maximum word count. Anything over this will disappear off the page. For this reason, it is advised to create title tags between 50 to 60 characters.
– Keep your brand name towards the end of the title tag. You want viewers to see the most important words first (which will be the relevant keywords). Put these first and work your way from the most important to the least important as a general rule of thumb.
– Title tags must be relevant to the content on the page.
– Avoid duplicated title tags like the plague. Each title tag MUST be unique.
– The worst written title tags are those which have been stuffed with keywords. Google will penalise you for it and send your site plummeting down to the abyss.